The weather window looked great for a departure; winds out of the SE clocking to the SW over 48 hours. And they were supposed to have been in the 15-20 kt range. Well, the National Weather Service got the wind direction right, but got the velocity wrong. It's blowing 25-30 kts right now! We've had 2 reef in since we left and we're finally on a beam to broad reach.
That point of sail is much nicer than what we had we left. Actually it wasn't bad when we left, but when we got into a 3.5 kt north-bound current that was on our beam, we had to turn big time into the wind to maintain anything that resembled the course that we wanted to hold. I eventually put the motor on for 3 hours just to help get us out of the current. It really didn't subside completely until we were in the lee of the Cuban coast.
Last night certainly wasn't a good night for sleeping with 5-7' seas. But this morning both of us were able to catch some sleep and I feel much more rested. As I said, at our current speed of 8+ kts, we'll be in Key West tomorrow PM and we're looking forward to a good nights rest.
Well, I've got Mom's recipe for tuna burgers in the oven, so I've got to get this sent off. Have a good one!
-- Geoff & Sue
Log ID: 364
To receive these logs via e-mail, please subscribe to the mailing list or you can follow us on FaceBook by clicking: