Underway from Isla Mujares to Key West

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

022-41.760 N
085-22.920 W
Marine forecast for this location

Hi everyone,

This is just a quick note to let you know that Sue & I departed Isla Mujares yesterday at 2 PM bound for Key West. The latest weather faxes show a cold front coming off of the Texas coast today and we wouldn't have made Key West before it hit. As a result we left a day earlier than expected. It's a 330 mile sail, so we should be in Key West in 3 days.

We started out with perfect sailing conditions and were doing 7 kts in the water. Then we picked up the Yucatan current, which blasts between Mexico and Cuba. That was good until the current going with us passed 3 kts and climbed to 5 kts. You would think that this would be a good thing, and it is as far as speed is concerned, but the wind was opposing the current and we got into big swells/waves which made for an untenable ride. We got out of the current, which heads north, at around 9 PM and made a turn to the east towards Key West. Unfortunately we ran into a counter-current of about 1/2 of a kt. We're headed N in search of the Gulf Stream which we will hopefully find later today.

If you want to check on our position, click on the following link. Our position will be updated several times per day.

-- Geoff & Sue
Log ID: 844

Index   Prior Log   Next Log

To receive these logs via e-mail, please subscribe to the mailing list or you can follow us on FaceBook by clicking: